Click to go to homepage
You are not currently logged in


 Basket Items: 0    Total: £0.00 

NEWS STORY

£37m transformation of historic Cardiff Royal Infirmary unveiled

29/05/2014

The first phase of the £37 million transformation of Cardiff Royal Infirmary, which will deliver health services in the heart of the Welsh capital, has been officially opened by Health Minister Mark Drakeford.

Funded by the Welsh Government, the project has converted part of the historic Victorian hospital into a one-stop shop for key health services for the local community.

 

Cardiff Royal Infirmary will now be home to  two GP practices and a pharmacy as well as those services already provided on the site - out-of-hours care, therapy services, radiology, outpatient clinics, mental health and substance misuse services.

 

The restoration and refurbishment also includes a major upgrade for Cardiff’s sexual health services, which will be based in purpose-built facilities and patients will benefit from all services being located on one site. Cardiff has the largest integrated sexual health service in Wales, treating 50,000 people a year.

 

Cardiff and Vale University Health Board is continuing to refine its plans for the next phase which will focus on delivering new integrated models of care in partnership with a wide range of health, council and third sector organisations at Cardiff Royal Infirmary.

 

Professor Drakeford said:

 

"Cardiff Royal Infirmary first opened its doors to the people of Cardiff in 1883 and through this multi-million pound transformation it will continue to provide health services in the heart of the city. New life is being breathed into what was once a tired and worn building.

 

"People in the local community will be able to access a wide range of services, including their GP surgery, out-of-hours care and support for substance misuse, all under one roof.

 

"I am proud to be able to say that through our capital investment programme we have been able to provide £37 million towards the ongoing improvements to this beautiful and historic site. We are investing in the health of the community while also preserving a piece of Cardiff’s heritage.”

 

Abigail Harris, director of planning at Cardiff and Vale UHB, said:

 

"The building looks fantastic. The Royal Infirmary is a very unique building in the community and it plays a really important role in providing access to health services to that community. When we took the facade down we could see the contrast and what a brilliant job had been done. They have managed to bring in a modern twist inside while keeping the building’s character on the outside."

 

The hospital is Grade II listed and opened in 1883, when it was known as the Glamorgan and Monmouthshire Infirmary and Dispensary. It has been called the Cardiff Royal Infirmary since 1895, apart from a period between 1911 and 1923 when it was known as the King Edward VII Hospital. 


» Send this news item to a friend or colleague

« Back to list

 

Quick Links

Binley's databases
Find out more!

 

Wilmington plc e-shot  |  Developed by forfront.net